The 61st Melbourne International Film Festival has released a first look at some of the titles from its 2012 program.
“We’ve been keeping mum up until now so it’s good to let at least a few little cats out of the bag,” said Festival Director Michelle Carey.
Highlights include the Cannes Film Festival winning Amour from Michael Haneke, along with Sundance favourite Beasts of the Southern Wild and Wes Anderson’s Moonrise Kingdom. These three, and a number of the other announced titles, are premiering this week at the Sydney Film Festival as well.
Werner Herzog’s documentary Into the Abyss heads up the documentary leg of the festival, with Oscar winning Undefeated also making its second Australian showing.
The eclectic mix also includes two highly anticipated Japanese films, Takashi Miike’s Ace Attorney, based on the video game of the same name, and Hirokazu Kore-eda’s I Wish.
Previously announced films include the opening night The Sapphires, and the 12 films in the Next Gen program. On 11 July, members can start buying tickets from the full program, announced on 13 July.
First Look Feature Films
- 100 Bloody Acres – Australia | 2012 | Cameron and Colin Cairnes
- Ace Attorney – Japan | 2012 | Takashi Miike
- Amour – France/Germany/Austria – 2012 | Michael Haneke
- Barbara – Germany | 2012 | Christian Petzold
- Beasts of the Southern Wild – USA | 2012 | Benh Zeitlin
- Headshot – Thailand | 2011 | Pen-ek Ratanaruang
- I Wish – Japan | 2011 | Hirokazu Kore-eda
- Last Dance – Australia | 2012 | David Pulbrook
- Monsieur Lazhar – Canada | 2011 | Philippe Falardeau
- Moonrise Kingdom – USA | 2012 | Wes Anderson
- Postcards From the Zoo – Indonesia/Germany/Hong Kong/China | 2012 | Edwin
- Ruby Sparks – USA | 2012 | Jonathan Dayton and Valerie Faris
- Sister – Switzerland/France| 2012 | Ursula Meier
- Tabu – Portugal/Germany/Brazil/France | 2011| Miguel Gomes
- The Loneliest Planet – USA/Germany| 2011| Julia Loktev
- Your Sister’s Sister – USA | 2011| Lynn Shelton
First Look Documentaries
- Ai Weiwei: Never Sorry – USA
- Beware of Mr. Baker – USA
- Into the Abyss – USA/UK/Germany
- Make Hummus Not War – Australia
- Paul Kelly: Stories of Me – Australia
- Searching for Sugar Man – UK/Sweden
- Shut Up and Play the Hits – UK
- Something From Nothing: The Art of Rap – USA
- The Ambassador – Denmark
- The Imposter – UK
- This Ain’t California – Germany
- Undefeated – USA